Shapes and Formats

I have spent some time creating simple shapes and shape sheets for
use in ER diagrams. (ie. crows feet, details box)

As some questions and answers were posted on the subject some time
ago, I was hoping this feature may have been "dealt to and with"
recently. Mainly because I can't get the crows foot to attach to the
entity without using the grouping option.

Do I need a handle to snap to the connector? I couldnt find them in
the box Mandrake Linux came in!

I would rather not start reinventing the wheel if not required, as I
am still a newbie in the world of programming and more so to Linux.

Also is there a program that can convert all or any of the export
formats of dia to other graphic formats and others back to dia import
types.
I want to use the exported XML of another app to create a site map or ER
diagram
in dia then export the finished work back to the other app.

Regards, Paul