Unable to change mouse focus

I was using Dia and found that, suddenly, I could not change the focus
of the mouse to interact with
the menu selections, or to add new objects to the page, etc.  (RH 7.1
Dia .86  gnome   sawfish).

I downloaded the 88.1 version of Dia, compiled, and installed on the
same machine.  Once again,
the same problem.  Before I compiled, I checked that all of my gtk libs
etc.. were as the INSTALL
file specified so, I had high hopes.

At this point, I cannot use Dia.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.
This seems to me to be
more of a problem with gtk, gnome desktop, or sawfish, but thought I'd
see if anyone else was
experiencing similiar issues.

Charles

Corson@noao.edu