Question about svg width, heigh & viewbox

I have another newbie-ish question regarding a kind of
entry in the the shape file (if I ever get around to
submitting a few shapes, I don't want to be laughed
at).

Using a line from the router-symbol.shape as an
example:

<svg:svg width="1.5cm" height="1.5cm" viewBox="-1 -1 2 2">

What does dia do with the width, height and viewBox
parameters and what's the impact of not including them?

While playing around with shape files, I simply
omitted those entries and things seem to work fine
(apparently dia has a shape auto-scaling feature
that keeps people like me from accidently creating
crazy-large shapes)

Even if things work OK with leaving out the
width, height and viewbox, what would be considered
good practice?

Thanks,
Patrick

--